Thursday, March 8, 2012

Favorites

Some books are entirely forgotten by the time you’re on your next read. Others have characters and stories that linger for a while. Here is an assortment of some of my favorite titles and authors . . . anyone else like any of these? *

·      The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Soo long but worth every page. An exciting and wonderful tale of redemption.
·      The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
A vampire tale, but more sophisticated than Twilight (wha?). Dracula is terrifying and chilling.
·      Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye
1189 pages of history, romance and adventure.
·      The Eight by Katherine Neville
I love books that flip between two time periods, then connect at the end. This is a brilliant book.
·      Harry Potter series
·      Jane Austen
Typical, I know, but I really do love her.
·      Austenland by Shannon Hale
A light read and fun escape for fans of Pride and Prejudice.
·      Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
An even more fun escape. Warning: the author likes to use a particularly offensive four-letter word.
·      The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
A nonfiction, first-person account of life in a concentration camp. Vividly detailed and an amazing book.
·      The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Another Holocaust story that I recommend reading with your tween/teen.
·      All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
A liiiitle slow, but very sweet and peaceful; this book makes me happy.

* Disclaimer: I’ve wanted to mention that I know LOTS of people who are better read than I am. I don’t, by any stretch of the imagination, think that I am the queen bee of books. 

2 comments:

  1. Love The Count, also Jane Eyre, Fablehaven, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, Girl of the Limberlost, Ann of Green Gables, Witch of Blackbird Pond, and the list goes on and on.

    Can't wait to read some new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations! Maybe I should add a sidebar of recommendations . . .

    ReplyDelete